Sunday, 8 January 2012

First Chance 10km 2012

Distance 10kms
Time 44.09
Pace 7.07 per mile
Current weight 75.00 kgs

And so it came to pass that at 10.30am my brother Ian and I lined up for the duel of the year (so far). The training was done, the psychological battles fought. It was now time for the talking to stop and for the truth to be learnt...

For the first 5kms it was nip and tuck, for the first mile I was ahead, then Ian overtook me whilst I snuck in behind waiting to pounce. As the second half loomed I felt Ian was starting to flag...it presented a natural quandry; should I hang back so he wasn't hurt by the sight of me running passed him? He is my brother after all. The thought lingered for less than a second before I powered passed him and off into the distance until I was sure I had left him physically and emotionally destroyed. There's no such thing as brotherly affection when we get racing.

The final couple miles were tough but I managed to keep up a good pace. Entering the final straight I looked over my shoulder just to check Edwards junior wasn't in view before crossing the line in just over 44mins. Ian was just over a minute behind. Victory was mine today, but he has done 10kms recently in 41 mins at a pace I can only dream off so I know he has revenge on his mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment